Thursday, March 8, 2012

fall in love

It started when I was in sixth grade and him in eighth grade. How did we look? Like that:
HOLY @#$%!, you said. That's right, that's us. Except I was in eighth grade and him as freshman in high school in this picture. I still can't get over how skinny I was and how small my eyes were! How the heck did my eyes get bigger? No circle lens, I swear. As for this boy, no comment.

You know how middle schoolers do. Teasing, crying, flirting, and rest of teenager stuff. He teased me a lot, but I think I was called as his Grandma -_- However, I thought he was adorable, but I was super shy at this time. I barely talked to him! So I avoided him most of the time.

Fast forward to when he went to high school. We stayed in touch by texting and emailing. I was such a noob with texting. I was slow at texting! My first cell phone was a flip phone so you know how annoying T9 was, right? My parents, mainly Mum was strict on me and lil bro. No TV and internet and AIM. My life sucked.
 
However, back to the story, he and I emailed to each others a lot. What else? Oh, someone with a big mouth told me that he liked me. I was surprised because we barely see each others. We rode in different bus so we didn't see each others much. We still remained in touch.

Fast forward to my freshman year. There he was. Again, I was avoiding him. Because I knew he liked me and he didn't know that I knew. Our friends already knew about him liking me. Very awkward. Nobody knew that I knew. Very very awkward. I remember that time, someone told me to hug him for few seconds. Few seconds?! I think he was secretly excited at this time. Like how he finally got a hug from a girl he liked. Still friends.
Fast forward to Valentine's Day. He surprised me with a dozen red roses and a beautiful poem. I still keep it! He had a talent at writing poems. On this day, I rejected him. I was flattered by his gifts, but it made me uncomfortable. Maybe I was not ready. I still haven't told him.

Sadie was drawing near. Girls were supposed to ask boys to the dance, but I didn't ask anyone. He waited for me to ask him so he did everything in his power to make me his date. Somehow, he became the third wheel with my girlfriend and me. I will never forget this pink shirt story! I thought that we would better be friends. I was sure that he would find a girl better than me. So I told him in person that I would like us to be friends.
The biggest mistake. This year was his junior year. After this day, he went through the phase. What phase, you ask? Emo phase. Nah, not black eyeliner. He mostly listened to emo music and grew his hair longer. I felt bad, but I moved on.

Suddenly, before the summer came, he liked someone else. The burden on my shoulders finally lifted up. It made me feel better knowing that he had moved ahead. It was a perfect time for us because we can finally talk as friends.
It was getting weirder because we instantly became close friends and we would randomly talked about anything. From stories, advices, and arguments. He was still dating this girl he liked, but people kept saying that we fought like an old married couple. Slowly, we hung out often and became best friends. Beside, my best girl friend, of course.

He graduated from the high school. It was a happy night for him. I didn't develop any feelings for him. First year in college for him and junior year for me. We texted, emailed, and webcammed to each other a lot. I missed him a lot. He was so easy to talk to and I can tell him about everything without him judging me.
 
The connection between this girl and him dropped. I helped him getting back on his feet and he continued on his studies. School year went by fast. More visits from him. I asked him to be my date for Sadie. My inspiration came from The Office.
 
We still hung out. This time, he tried to confess to me! But I kept ignoring him then it hits me one day. I really really like him. I never noticed it all of the time.
Few days before my birthday, my friends and he surprised me at Claim Jumper. One of my favorite places before it became shitty.
We agreed that this picture was the worst picture of ourselves. Look at us -_-

He drove me home and all the time I wasn't listening to him. I was thinking to myself, "Should I tell him? No, not now. Or now?" When I came out of the car, he offered to walk me to the door. Reaching the door, I thanked him for a great birthday then hugged him. At this moment, it was him who admitted that he liked me. He was afraid to tell the truth because I might reject him for the third time.

Well, for the third time, I accepted him. He was the same dorky kid I knew back in the sixth grade, but somehow, I fell for him through those years.

We went on our first date. He asked me to be his girlfriend. I said yes. We said good bye before he went back to college. Back to video chats, texts, and emails. Long distance relationship was hard. We were only a hour away from each other, but hey, it was tough for us! Once, we hadn't seen each other for a month. Oh man.
Senior year. Sadies. Prom. Anniversary. College. Adventures. In love.
Three years and five months had passed. He will graduate this semester and I will graduate next year. It was amazing how much we had grown since our days in middle school. Did we change? Yes, mainly his smile and my eyes and our hairstyles. Just kidding! Sometimes, I was afraid that our spark will fade away. School and work keep us busy, but he said that it will not stop here. Surprises and adventures will come ahead of us. I can't wait (: Remember something from our love story, the one you are waiting for, he or she might be standing right in front of you. Take your chance because you only live once.

Happy three years and six months, babe.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Aww, really cute and touching story!! Leo is lucky to have you, Kimb. (: <3

Jiyoung said...

you guys are lucky to have each other! :)

unoriginalmind said...

oh man, i remember everything! And look at you guys! So... aDORKable! :p hahaha you both are still my best friends x) And that's cool :D

janicee! said...

sometimes i wish i am like you i fall in love with the guy when younger. ahaha
i love the love story of yours! invite me to your wedding :p

Miss. Spensieri said...

haha...reminds me of my love story...I also met the love of my life in 6th grade and he was in the 8th grade too...AHH. So happy for you!